Purpose of collection
Recycled Textbooks receives and sells second-hand textbooks on consignment, as well as new books and associated educational products (Products). We collect personal information primarily for us to Provide products to you (Purpose), including:
- to provide you with Products, services and information that you have requested from us;
- to communicate with you, including about Products, services and events which might interest you;
- to answer your questions and provide you with information or advice;
- to create accounts, tax invoices or receipts;
- provide your personal information to third parties that assist us in providing Products or services you or they have requested;
- to consider and respond to complaints made by you;
- to comply with laws or regulations or to comply with any directions given by regulators or authorities.
We may disclose additional purposes for collection of your personal information in collection statements at the point of collection.
Personal information we collect
When used in this policy, “personal information” has the meaning given to that term in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). We may collect the following types of personal information from you:
- residential or business address;
- email address;
- post code;
- age and date of birth;
- telephone number.
Sensitive information is information about you that reveals your racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs or affiliations, membership of a professional or trade association, membership of a trade union, details of health, disability, sexual orientation or criminal record.
It is our policy not to collect your sensitive information.
How we collect your personal information
Collection of your personal information can occur through the following interactions:
- when you communicate with us directly (in person, by email, telephone, direct mail or any other means); and/or
- when you visit our website http://recycledtextbooks.com.au or register to receive notifications (Website).
We may use temporary (session) cookies or permanent cookies when you access our Website. This allows us to recognize your browser and track the web pages you have visited.
You can switch off cookies by adjusting the settings on your web browser.
How we hold your personal information
We may hold your personal information in either electronic or hard copy form.
If you provide information to us electronically we retain this information in our computer systems and databases. If you provide information to us in hard copy (paper) this information is normally retained in our files and a copy is made to our electronic files.
We use industry standard security measures to safeguard and protect your information.
If we are unable to collect your personal information
If we are unable to collect your personal information, some or all of the following may occur:
- we may be unable to provide Products and services to you;
- we may be unable to communicate with you to provide information about Products and services that you have procured from us, or may intend to procure in the future;
- we may be unable to tailor the content of our marketing communications to suit your preferences;
- your experience when interacting with us may be delayed or not as efficient as you may expect.
Disclosure of your personal information
Your personal information may be disclosed in connection with any Purpose to any of the following:
- our employees, contractors or service providers, to the extent reasonably necessary to fulfil our obligations to you;
- our business advisors, including lawyers, accountants or other professional service providers, to the extent reasonably required;
- suppliers and other third parties with whom we have commercial relationships, for business, payment processing, marketing and related purposes;
- if required by law, to any person authorised by such law.
Overseas disclosure of personal information
We may disclose your personal information to third parties and service providers located overseas in connection with any Purpose including overseas suppliers of cloud computing storage. We take reasonable steps to ensure that the overseas recipients of your personal information do not breach the privacy obligations relating to your personal information.
We may send you direct marketing communications and information about services offered by us or our partners via email, SMS, or regular mail.
If you have indicated a preference for a method of communication, we will endeavour to use that method wherever practical to do so.
You may opt out of receiving marketing communications at any time by responding via the channel in which you received the marketing communication, or by contacting us (see contact information below). You can unsubscribe from emails by clicking the unsubscribe link on the footer of the email communication you have received.
How you may access your information
You may access your personal information held by RTB by making a request to us.
Mail: 12 Arcade Rd, Mont Albert North, Vic 3129
Correction of your personal information
If you would like us to update or amend your personal information, please contact us and we will make the requested amendments.
We may ask you to verify your identity to ensure that personal information we hold is not improperly accessed.
If you feel your privacy has been breached, please contact us using the contact information above setting out the circumstances and reasons for your complaint.